Thursday, September 6, 2012

My Lecturing Time

Allow a girl to be candid for a moment. Because I have a confession to make.

I've just about given chivalry the deathblow.

Hey now, it's not like a I mean to; It's simply the skeptic in me. I bite the hand that feeds me, and I want to apologize for that.

Do you relate? I wouldn't be surprised if you answered me with a mumbleabolic mutter of "...yessss".

Ya wanna know why?
Because we're human. That's why. We live in a sick---as in dying---world where love, trust, and hope get thrown out the window and into the dumpster. As a matter of fact, we pride ourselves in being so self-reliant that we no longer need other people's kindness. Naw, who needs someone to open the door when you can open it yourself.

Do people really think you're helpless?
No.
They're just trying to be helpful.

There's a cliche going on around here, and that would be: "My faith in humanity is restored!"

Hmm. I feel like the human population should take smaller steps.
Let's try letting humanity grow before we stomp it out first.
Then we can change the cliche to "My faith in humanity is restored!"
And from there we can work with it.

But back to chivalry.

I found this quote at this blog. Gave me a guilt trip.
(...also made me smirk & smile...)

"Guys, keep chivalry alive. Ladies, try not to kill it."

Ouch. 
(What? You too? Okay, here's a band-aid.)

Also, when I hear the word chivalry, I happen to hear Edmund shouting at Peter as he turns away from Miraz with sword in hand (why hello Narnians). 

So let me say it now:
Somewhere inside of you, inside of me, inside of everyone, there really is a daisy of a person just waiting to bloom. Yes, we're humans, but then again, that means we naturally have a little humanity to begin with. =)

Just look in all the cardboard boxes stashed in your heart, and I'm telling you, you'll find a little chivalry to spare (and a little gratitude for it as well) somewhere buried deep in the packing peanuts. 

Now go and save the world.

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

Amen. :)

I love it when someone is chivalric(isn't that the most EPIC word??!!!!!) to me, but sometimes I find myself being the stereotypical snotty brat kid on TV.
I don't say thank you enough.

I don't hold the door open for the old lady behind me(or the middle aged business man or the teenaged girl) often enough.

I don't smile when I'm helping when I should.

I grump when I should be thankful.

Chivalry rocks. We should use it more. :D

Thanks for this.

Ely

Anonymous said...

Great post, girl!

I was reading that quote today too, and in-fact, its funny this whole subject would come up, cause its been popping up in-front of me for a week or two now.

A few days ago I was walking up to Starbucks and a very sketchy looking guy in his 30's was in-front of me. He skipped up the steps, flung the door open and as it was about to close, saw me walking up the steps. His arm quickly shot for the closing door, and he held it open for me. I was stunned to say the least. I hardly expect guys to do that anymore (cause they jus don't. *sad face*) but most especially him.
Whatever happened to the guy opening the door for you, (even the car door) or walking on the outside, or keeping a conversation going? I remember the one time I really noticed how guys didn't hold the door for you anymore...It was when I went to the theatre, and the heavy metal door was closed in my face. The last thing I saw was the back of his hoodie, and then....the door.

I think a lot of girls do kill it...The mistake of thinking their strong enough just like a man, so really, they don't need help.
(Im not at all talking about you K.)
I make the mistake of stepping forward and getting the door a lot, I will be honest...Maybe its because I'm afraid of that awkward moment where he stares at it, and then at me, and doesn't go for the door.
Plain OUCH.

I've just begun to realize the impact of saying something nice to a complete stranger can make. Would it brighten my day if someone told me they liked my outfit? Well that's a no brainer, of course it would! I'd post about it on my blog ;) There are those random times where the person looks at you like your from outer space and asks if your on drugs or something, but the times that it DID brighten someone's day is worth it.

I love reading posts from your heart Kismint. (Not like they all aren't, but you get what I'm sayin', right?)

Sorry the comment was so long!!

Kismint said...

I'm glad you liked my lecture! =)

I couldn't sleep last night so I started writing in the dark (ha, not easy). This was sorta what came out.

God bless!

From Where You Cometh

Locations of Site Visitors