Friday, August 3, 2012

Can This Be the 'Test' to My 'Imony'?

The more people the better.
---Or so I say when it comes to public speaking. If there's one thing that I can hardly pull through, it's doing a carefully planed, plotted and pictured speech in front of the few and familiar. Last year in English class I had to read (or rather, memorize and say aloud) a few paragraphs that I wrote in front of a class of seven.

Very. Very. Difficult.

Not that I do bad (in fact, quite the opposite), it's just that I feel more comfortable standing, and ultimately speaking, in front of a large crowd of less-than-personally-known acquaintances.

Besides, I have this strange inkling to the fact that the more people there are (attempting) to sit quietly and listen, the more they distract each other. Thus, spotlight dims a bit.


This coming Sunday is our church's graduation day (*shakes hands all around*). A day of excitement, celebration, and awesomeness awaits! In addition to that, the younger peoples (*moment of pride*) get to run the worship service. Also, as the slab of bacon goes with a scrambled egg, so do the minions padawans kid's prayers, pictures slide shows, and testimonies compliment the singing.

The mist is clearing, yes?

Therefore, the question of the day seems to be...

How exactly do I want to share my youthcamp testimony??

...Yeah. That's what I wanna know.
Actually, it's obvious what I want to bring my point to. I'm just in the process of figuring out how to get there without hearing snoring sounds throughout.

Or rotten tomatoes.
I don't care how many people tell me tomatoes are good for you. Neither do I care if they are a fruit or a veggie. I just think they're gross.

More later on the subject, but for now:
Butterflies, don't harm me. Because I have a net ya'know.

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

oooh, I feel your pain. At my girls Bible Study, every year our teacher has this big to do where we have the option of telling our testimony of how we came to Christ in front of the WHOLE group. Unfortunately for me, because I am one of her evil minions who shepherds five year olds around, I don't exactly have a choice. Either I do it...or I do it. :)
At first, all the tricks people gave me for public speaking didn't work at all. They still don't. But basically, now that I've been giving my testimony for about four years in front of 80+ kids...it's a lot easier than it was. Refined by fire, I guess.
You can do it, girl. Be strong and courageous. God is with you at all times(especially whenever your knees are trembling and you feel like the whole world is looking at you and judging your every movement.) You can do it.

Love you,
Ely

Kismint said...

@ Ely:
Yeah...it's not that I get nervous (well, I do, just not THAT nervous), it's just...
I know what I want to say, I know how I want to say it, and I know I can pull it off. I just feel like I should prepare for it somehow, and I'm not sure how.

...Should I write everything out? Do and outline? Or just go by what's in my heart and head?

I'm not bad at public speaking. I just need to figure out how I'm gonna tackle this one.

Ooh...and procrastination doesn't help. =/

elizabeth said...

hmm...I gotcha. I'm usually a fly by the seat of my pants kinda girl, but when it comes to public speaking, I like to have a loose plan of what's gonna come out of my mouth. But that's hard, because you've got all these amazing thoughts in your heart and you want to share them, but when you say them out loud, they sound extremely pathetic to you(voice of experience here...) So sometimes it's good to just wing it. Sometimes.
I dunno which way is best. Maybe a combination of the two? Either way, you're gonna do great. :)

Ely

From Where You Cometh

Locations of Site Visitors