Tuesday, August 21, 2012

(Close to) The Most Beautiful

Okay, it's time.

"For what?" You ask, and in answer I say: Time for a little Owl City review. And then you groan (yes, I know you all too well, don't I?).

But really now, what else should I do (dedicated fan that I am), what with his newest album now debuting?

To be honest with you, I haven't bought the album.
To be even more honest with you, I'm just now listening to the full album on YouTube (yes, yes, I see your withering glare).

But one thing was predictable, even before The Midsummer Station was released, and that was that this Owl City album would be falling on the Pop side of things.
And it does.

A lot.

I'll say it right now: if Pop is not your thing, don't be interested. The electronica and whimsical synths have been reduced. This is not the former albums.

I doubt you could call me an expert. I doubt you could call any fan of Owl City an expert. To be an expert, you need to know what it's like to go from Coke-a-Cola stacker to worldwide phenomenon.

And really, that's a hard thing to swallow.

But to be plain: He did. Quite well actually. Just speaking from what I've heard from other people who keep up with this particular music artist, Adam Young has kept true to his faith in God and his values/virtues (and let us pray that it stays that way). Although he continues to remain a non-Christian artist on his album categories, his songs have (and still do) reflect his Christian beliefs. In addition to that, he's kept his innocence and direction in the swirly twirly land of stardom.

All this is a big feat, and most stumble.
(The evidence is in the media.)

With The Midsummer Station we see---err---hear a few new things from Owl City. The ones that catch my (VERY VERY VERY VERY) less-than-armature musical ear are...

-The variety of deep drums/percussion
-Electric guitar/bass
-Dubstep. Dubstep everywhere. (Like I said, this thing is heavy with the pop.)

These aren't exactly bad things---nay, on the contrary, my dear friend! And Mr. Young himself has stated how he think it wrong to dwell and dabble in the same tones and music. He has explained his interest in finding out what gets the general public ticking, and he feels the need to grow further up and in with his records.

I completely respect this, and find myself wishing that I could have the same level of insight and skill to do the same.

Another aspect of this album that makes it a new brushstroke is the fact that it was written by multiple people. Unlike the past three full albums (and the two EPs), Adam Young only had half the reins here. His producers, writers, mixers, and band have all expanded and changed. You might say that now he's more voice, less mastermind behind his music.

Once again, this isn't a bad thing. Owl City deserves to grow and change---everything in this world does---and it deserves to branch out to new things as well. However, much of the charm found in the past albums, extended plays and singles was the element of simplicity: something that came from a solo artist from a quiet town in a cozy basement.

I won't harp on that much though, because it's already been dwelt upon (and complained about) by others, and I don't think it's right to expect things and people and the things people make to stay the same. So now we come to the songs.

As I've already noted (more than once), this ain't no Ocean Eyes (or Of June, or Maybe I'm Dreaming, or All Things Bright and Beautiful...), but that's okay.

---And it's okay because the innocence, the beauty, and the daydreams are still there---they're just underneath it all (just dig a little deeper).

The problems arrive when this ISN"T true.

The problems arrive when all that innocence and simplicity dissolves into something that's NOT what we've come to expect from Mr. Young---even if he is trying new things. It makes me painfully smirk (and try to wipe the thought) when I use an example of this:

Bombshell Blonde, an iTunes Store bonus track was also released. I listened to it (via YouTube, of course ;) earlier today, and was mildly horrified.

Sure, Owl City has put some romantic songs out there---in no particular order, take Vanilla Twilight, If My Heart Were a House, Lonely Lullaby, Honey and the Bee, etc., etc., and you get a great bundle of wonderful love songs that are simply: sweet and beautiful.

No so anymore.

Bombshell Blonde, written by Matt Thiesson (No! No! No! Why?? Why would you do this Thiesson?!! You're like the best songwriter ever! Why can't you see that you're destroying one of your closest friend's spectacular work??) and Produced by Adam Yong (Ack! Hit your friend/songwriter on the head with a frying pan to keep him from writing such a mess!) is a love song.

=P

*turns all sorts of colors*

And I fear to think of how many times it will be on the radio (like, on the weird radio stations that aren't so Christian).
Not that it's a bad song per-se, it's just...
...well...
...you'll haffta listen to it on your own.

I just shudder with how it will change Owl City's image to the general public eye.

And the strange thing is that it would have been just fine if Thiesson and Young (Relient K and Owl City) had written it for Relient K to preform. Matt Thiesson could pull it off just fine, and do a good job with it too.

...But for Owl City??

The other songs I am not so pleased with (for generally the same reasons) would be...
"I'm Coming After You" (Wow. Really? The story here is so silly and shallow! I dare say this will be another "hot" song on the radio---in a not-as-great-as-it-should (or could) be sort of way.)
"Speed of Love" (Slightly better with the play on words, but still...you're really pushing it. And by "it" I mean many things.)

I'm not saying that I absolutely hate the above songs (just gimme a few hours with them and I'll call them my favorites...true story...it's how I work... >_> ), but I would feel weird telling people  that "You should listen to this because of the message in it" or even "I love this song simply because it's catchy", (though they ARE catchy). This is because I'm pretty sure that part of our duty as Christians is to admire and like things because of the moral values in them. Not that these songs have un-moral values (No! not at all!), I just feel like they don't completely match the Philippians 4:8 criteria.

Actually, a very few things in the world do.
"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
The other songs are bearable---even enjoyable, if you have a spot in your heart for a new genre of Owl City.  

I guess that's all I had to say.

BUT WAIT:

Nothing I've said about The Midsummer Station up to this point has any meaning whatsoever when it comes to TRACK 9!

Anyone.
Everyone.
YOU.
Should listen to this.
Because it might---just might---be the most beautiful song Adam Young has ever dreamed up. And that song alone could very well make The Midsummer become one of the most beautiful albums every released under the whimsical, umbrella-beached Owl City.


These were my thoughts.
These are my inklings.
Goodbye.

---

Post Script:
(written the day after this post was published)
After listening to Silhouette numerous times, I've realized out high his voice is in this particular work of art. Combined and in contrast to the other songs on the album, it appeals to me and adds depth. However, I can understand why some people find the nasal-pitch a bit too much (thus, I understand if it's not your thing ;).

No comments:

From Where You Cometh

Locations of Site Visitors